Foam rolling has become a popular self-massage technique over the past few years among patients of all ages. Benefits include: reduced muscle soreness and tightness, increased blood flow to tissue, increased mobility, and increased flexibility when combined with stretching. Additionally, foam rolling requires little equipment, can be done regularly, and independently.
Some important parameters for the using a foam roll include:
- Only roll over soft tissue, never roll over joints or bony landmarks
- Focus on major muscle groups
- Move slowly from each area to the next only rolling for about 30 seconds on each
- If you are currently being treated for an injury or illness check with your healthcare provider before foam rolling
- Mild to moderate discomfort and tenderness is normal, pain is not
Foam Rolls can usually be found at a local sporting goods stores, Target, Amazon, or specialty running stores.
Basic Techniques for Foam Rolling
It is common for this area to be more sensitive than others due to common tightness of the tissue.
Be sure to avoid rolling over the back of your knee.